Please note that this is not the page containing submission guidelines for Half Mystic Journal. If you're looking to submit a piece for inclusion in the journal, please head over here for more information.
We are always accepting manuscript submissions. Half Mystic Press publishes the following types of books:
- poetry, essay, and short story collections
- full-length novels
- experimental work
We do not publish books of genre, lyrics without music, or critical work. Your manuscript must be at least 30 single-spaced pages, and it must be complete.
Please note that, unlike in our journal, we do publish books that are not overtly music-themed. When we ask for music, we mean rhythm, we mean story, we mean luminescence and chaos, pulsing loneliness, ordinary madness, thunder on loop, violent quietude, shivering wonder. We mean truth. We mean work that we can’t help but listen to on repeat, work that makes us believe there is something bigger than all of this endless static.
When we ask for music, we mean the undefined and the indefinable. Send us your symphony. We promise we won’t flinch.
A few guidelines (please follow these exactly, or we will have to regretfully decline your submission):
- At least three-quarters of the collection must be previously unpublished in any form.
- We welcome simultaneous submissions, but please let us know immediately if your manuscript finds a home elsewhere.
- We only publish predominantly English manuscripts. No translations for now.
- Half Mystic Press is an ardent supporter of diverse creators and their work; we believe that minority writers, especially in these times, have the truest music thrumming in their chests. We welcome manuscripts that explore and centre around the experiences of minorities. Also know that we do not tolerate work that discriminates against any minorities; such work will be automatically rejected.
- Above all: we want you to twist and bend, stretch the limits, suffuse us with the rhythm of innovation. We fall in love with pieces that make us rethink what music means.
For poetry, essay, and short story collections, please send the full manuscript; for all other genres, please send the first half of the manuscript. Email your book as a PDF to email@example.com. We read all submissions blindly, so please do not include any identifying information in the manuscript file.
The subject line of your email should be: “Manuscript Submission: [Genre], [Title], [Name]” (e.g. “Manuscript Submission: Poetry Collection, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, T.S. Eliot”). In the body of the email, include a third-person bio up to 250 words long, a list of acknowledgements of organisations where excerpts from the book have been published (if any), a description of what music means to you, and an explanation of why you’ve chosen Half Mystic Press as a home for your lovely work.
We are a very small press running mostly on love, caffeine, and a damn good mixtape, but we aim to get back to you within two months. If it’s been three months and you haven’t received a response, feel free to send us an email to check in. Polite enquiries are never taken badly, we promise.
Please only submit one manuscript at a time. If we reject one of your submissions, we ask that you wait at least six months before submitting again.
Send us your best. Let’s create something beautiful together.